About the project
This project is a result of training event for teachers which was a part of Erasmus+ KA2. Partnership of schools – “Through democracy to literacy”. The inspiration of the topic was the story of “the green cat” which one of the teacher from Iceland wrote and published in 2015. The book is educational for young children and have a lot of opportunity to work with wide range of topics. Project aims are strongly connected with developing literacy and democracy in classrooms. The project approach and working inspired by the preschools in Reggio Emilia are the basis of the teaching and learning approach within this project. During project activities we want to encourage creativity, exploring and children’s participation in their learning process and promote outdoor education.
-gaining and developing literacy competences (expanding vocabulary, to widen speech & communication skills, ability of listening and understanding the meaning and context);
-forming an intellectual abilities in creative thinking, forming links between the story and places in the children’s close environment;
-to learn about our environment through outdoor education
-exchanges experiences with others so we can use the local community as a resource to support outdoor education.
-developing symbolic thinking (forming links between real items/characters and symbols/icons);
-learning mathematics concepts (patterns, colors, shapes and numbers);
-developing multisensual experiencing the world (through visual/audio/tactile channels);
-arousing students` initiative and independence;
-supporting the children curiosity, self-confidence and awareness of their abilities;
-gaining the ability of working in teams (among students in classroom teams and international teams, but also among parents and teachers);
-providing the joy and satisfaction with the result of oneself’s work;
-using ICT tools and educational platform by children within the project.
- Reading the story about the green cat and document what topics may interest the children
- The teachers discuss the interest of the children and decide a topic
- Each group makes a mind map with the children, brainstorming what the children know of the topic and see what questions comes up to explore further.
- Finding ways to answer these questions (field trips, outdoor education, expert visit, parents cooperation, books, internet, working collaboratively with the other countries where the children have a possibility to become specialists, adding their “expertise knowledge” and thus become actively involved working with the different topics of the participating schools).
- Review the mind map and see if other questions come up, if so let us do some more research but if not:
- Prepare and organize ways to show others what we have learned.
- Everybody documents the learning process and share and discuss the documentation through the project website.
- Evaluation of the project.
- The Project blog (https://ourerasmuscats.wordpress.com/) presenting project tasks and results on all its stages.
- The teachers will learn to use the Project Approach methodology.There will be different results depending on the topics but we would also like to conclude the project making a common story of what the green cat might do tomorrow using the “Key to Learning. Literature” method which we learned in Poland and used during our last eTwinning porject connected to our Erasmus+ project “Through democracy to literacy”.
For the children:
– The experience of enjoying , learning through and exploring one book (how to use Literature and World as inspiration for education and adventure).
– Gaining knowledge of their closest context and culture.
– Development of student social skills (working in pairs, team, respect for others and their ideas, self-confidence, taking responsibilities for actions, awareness of their skills
-Gaining positive experience from interaction between children from other European countries and creating positive attitude towards international contacts in future
– Gaining experience and basic skills in use of simple ICT tools
-Gaining first experience of using English languages (on the appropriate level to the age).
From 3 to 11
Art, Drama, Environmental Education, Foreign Languages, Informatics / ICT, Media Education, Language and Literature, Mathematics / Geometry, Music, Pre-school Subjects